Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Interview with “American Primitive” Star, Danielle Savre


You may have seen her in “Bring it On: All or Nothing”, featured in the TV show “Summerland” with heartthrob, Jesse McCartney, and MTV television hit show, “Kaya”. These are just some of the few shows and movies Danielle Savre has been featured in. This 20-year-old singer and actress has been working on her singing career with professionals who have worked with Britney Spears and Avril Lavigne. In 2006, Danielle’s career skyrocketed with a recurring role in the hit NBC TV show “Heroes” alongside Hayden Panettiere. Lately Danielle has been working on her newest project, “American Primitive”, so be sure to keep a look out for that movie to soon release!
How did you first start out acting?
Honestly, pure luck. My best friend growing up, her mother was an assistant to my soon to be first agent. My friend’s mother kept telling me that I should get into modeling and commercials. After the idea got in my head, I was hooked. I bugged my mom until she gave in and set up a meeting with the agency. Next thing I know, I am the face of Mattel’s Barbie and the rest is history.
What was is like filming “Bring it On: All or Nothing” with Hayden Panettiere?
It was a blast. Just a bunch of girls joking around ( sometimes too much ). We all were known to get into a little bit of trouble here and there. It went by way too fast! I formed a lot of amazing friendships while filming “Bring It On” that I know are going to last forever.
Have you ever done cheerleading before or did you just learn it for that movie?
[laughs] I had never done cheerleading prior to “Bring It On”. Truthfully, I was kind of against it. I am a dancer and a soccer player, so I never thought much of cheerleading. For the film though, we had 5 weeks of training with the amazing Eric Little. After that training time I had a new found respect for the sport of cheerleading. It is so hard and technical. A part of me wished I had tried it out when I was younger. At least I got to play a cheerleader!!
What was it like being featured in “Summerland” with Jesse McCartney?
It was amazing!! I just adore Jesse. He played such a huge part in my life. He taught me so much and was just a really big supporter of me. It was so much fun to come to work everyday and get to play Callie. Also, he is such a funny guy which made it so easy to work all of our dramatic scenes. The second they would say cut he would be cracking some joke.
In 2006 you landed the lead role of Kaya the misunderstood rockstar in the well-respected MTV television hit show, “Kaya.” Have you been working on any projects to further your singing career?
Yes, I am currently working on my solo album with Jack D. Elliot, an amazing producer that has worked with Britney Spears, Ashley Tisdale, and V Factory. We are working hard on writing and recording the perfect tracks that express my sound.
What’s the latest project your working on?
At the moment I am traveling around the United States for my film “American Primitive”. It premiered at the Palm Springs Film Festival where it won the Best Audience Award. It then had a special event held for it at Sundance. Now we are off to the Seattle Film Festival and hopefully the LA Film Festival after. In the meantime, I am looking for the next script to work on.
What kind of role did you play in “CSI: Las Vegas”? And how is it different from the other roles you’ve played in other movies?
“CSI” was my first role I got to sink my teeth into. I played a deranged young girl that is having a relationship with a much older man. My character in the show finds out that her stepmother is also having a relationship with the same man I am seeing. So I, in an act of rage, kill her. In the end, my character is still in love with the older man. So she was my first dark character. It was so much fun to dive into a character that was nothing like me. Ironically, it was a lot of fun to shoot and it is different from my many “nice girl” roles.
Can you tell us more about the new film, “American Primitive”, and your role as Madeline Goodhart?
“American Primitive” is a beautiful film directed and written by Gwen Wynne, about the life of a young girl after the death of her mother, her move to a new town, and her discovery that her father is homosexual. The film takes place in Cape Cod, Massachusetts in 1973. My character Madeline is the female protagonist that carries you through the film and shows how she has to deal with each aspect of her young life while keeping such a huge secret. I know it sounds dark and brooding, but it is giving amazing comic relief by Skye McCole Burtusiak and Anne Ramsey along with Adam Pascal and James Sikking. It is an honest film that seems to capture the viewer in the first few minutes and takes you on Madeline’s journey. It has amazing music and clothes from 1973 and a great Cape Cod feel; it is so much fun to lose yourself in it. And in the end you walk away with this amazing story about a family of three generations being able to stick together and deal with anything through there love for one another. Madeline herself is just a troubled young girl that is trying to fill the footsteps of her mother while trying to make friends and have her first crush. All she wants is a normal life and she stumbles upon something that in 1973 was unacceptable to even talk about.
How was it filming the series “Heroes” and once again working with Hayden Panettiere?
Working with Hayden again was a blast. It’s rare you get to work with the same person twice!! The funniest part is that me and Hayden are close friends but we never talk work. I started working on the show before it had started airing. So when I booked the job and came to set, it was a pleasant surprise to find that Hayden and I were working together again. Only this time I was playing her enemy which ended up being so much fun. The fact that we would be laughing and goofing around off camera and then have to hate each other when they called ‘action’ was priceless. We were playing cheerleaders again which was also hilarious. We would do the old “Bring it on: All or Nothing” cheers on our down time. Everyone got a kick out of it. There were also a lot of late night shoots which included Hayden and I indulging in way too much In-n-Out!! Amazing!!
Do you have a preference of what genre of movie you like to be starred in? Do you prefer starring in movies or television series?
I just love to work!! I think I tend to lean towards movies just because you shoot for a period of time and then you move on to the next character. Either way I get to do what I love!!! As for genre, I just enjoy switching it up. I love everything from dramas, to thrillers, to comedies, to horror. I love the challenge of trying something new whether it be a character I have never played, a new director, etc. At the end of the day, though, it is all about having fun and being happy!!!
Is there anyone that you look up to like a role model?
Meryl Streep, Mary Tyler Moore, Charlize Theron, Renee Zellweger, Kathy Bates, Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett. Along with amazing actors like Robert Downey Jr., Sean Connery, Anthony Hopkins, Edward Norton, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. These are all the older actors that I look up to and admire, but as for my generation I really like Evan Rachel Wood, Jena Malone, Kristen Stewart, Madeline Zima, Shia Lebaouf, Michael Cera, etc.
They each bring something unique to every role they play!
Do you have a message for your fans?
Never give up on your dreams and always remember that happiness is key. If you’re not happy in what you’re doing or what’s going on in your life, change it. Don’t dwell on it. Do something about it until you are happy! And laugh every day!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Danielle savre is the most beautiful woman in the world. I would love to marry her!!!